What an eventful week we've had here in the Amazon, as I'm sure you are all aware from my Facebook statuses and emails. The indigenous communities went on strike against a new water law. I think at this point talks have started between the president and indigenous leaders, so things should get back to 'normal' here soon. Since I live in a 99% indigenous area, strikes and protests were happening very close to my house so I was on edge for a few days. It is comforting to know that a cab can get to my house and back to the big city in less than 20 minutes, and even more comforting to know that I have some very, very good friends living near me. Tena cluster once again had our usual Friday night shin-dig, complete with some amazing dinner at our favorite (the only) Argentenian restaurant and ending with dancing at the local hot spot. I did my October grocery shopping yesterday. I bought yogurt in its normal plastic container and also in a bag, and I bought milk in its regular box (yes, boxed, unrefrigerated milk) and also in a bag. I plan on doing a taste comparison to see if I prefer my dairy products in bags. We will see. Nina is doing well, I tried to put her old collar on her and the ends don't even touch around her neck. She grew...the kids at the caves and I started an eco-club yesterday. We are going to paint inorganic and organic trash cans for the caves next week! In English class, we learned and translated Michael Jackson's 'Beat It.' I think I won some extra points for that activity. I can't believe October is finally here. I can't wait for the Halloween festivities at the end of the month - Tena cluster has costumes planned and we get to go rafting! No other news from here, I'm trying to update my blog more often so we'll see if I can do it.
Saturday, October 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
what an absurd picture...
Post a Comment