Monday, September 21, 2009
This one's for you, Granddad
I let almost an entire month go by without posting to let you all know I am still alive. Oops :) Things continue to go well down here, taking it day by day, one step at a time! The month of September was filled with alot of traveling, it was nice to get out of site and I was a little sad to have to return and get back into the grind. I really enjoyed traveling and seeing some more of Ecuador. Bueno. So September started off well, I went to Quito for a day for the GAD (Gender and Development) meeting. We work with equality for women and hold leadership camps and give out scholarships to young girls. I'm super excited to learn more about GAD in Ecuador and to meet the girls we are helping go to school. I'm in charge of planning the next GAD seminar for volunteers and their counterparts so that will be fun. Quito changed their bus station situation so it was a tad confusing. The new bus stations, however, resemble very nice airports so I can't complain about that! All in all, the city is huge and incredibly different from here in the Oriente. So I got back from Quito at 1 AM and had to be up for a Shaman gathering here in Tena. Looks like my counterpart didn't research it well because we...couldn't find it. Maybe Shamans are like ninjas? Who knows. So that was a bust, but I still got to see some of Tena cluster. So the weekend passed quickly and Tena cluster headed out last Monday for Reconnect. Reconnect is a gathering of all the volunteers in Omnibus 101 to...reconnect...and talk about the past few months and start planning the first year of service. Counterparts were invited as well and I took the secretary of the Foundation. We learned a whole whole lot about project development and planning so I'm excited to see what may come of it. It was great to see all the volunteers in the Oriente as well. The place we stayed at was incredible - beautiful plants and flowers, walkways and trails, volleyball court, swing set!, pool, sauna, etc. Way to go, Peace Corps. We had a talent show one night (because volunteers are hilarious, especially in the oriente - why else?). The girls and I copied an SNL Spanish skit, we rewrote '500 miles' and there were some hilarious impersonations! A good time was had by all. We wrapped up the week on Friday and most of us packed up and headed to Riobamba. Since Reconnect is usually supposed to be in Quito with all the volunteers but was different this year, we all planned to meet up in Riobamba (kind of a central location?). Mostly everyone from Omnibus 101 was there. It was so good to see everyone, share stories, and hang out. The hotel we found was super nice (but cheap! we are volunteers...) and the town is gorgeous. It was refreshing feeling cold weather, but combined with the altitude change it didn't really agree with me. I found a store that sold the good cheese and chocolate that comes from Salinas - Gouda! My ritz crackers were especially jazzed up last night. The bus ride is actually very beautiful coming from Riobamba to Tena. You can see where the air changes, where the highlands become jungle, etc. The road in between Banyos and Puyo is especially gorgeous - the waterfalls are absolutely amazing! The bus ride was also particularly entertaining - and seemed shorter! - because Laurel and I have decided to start a band. She's going to learn the guitar, and when Mom and Dad bring me my banjo in Diciembre (mom, dad, now you can't say no - you've been published.) we are going to start singing and playing and stuff! I will probably buy a guitar too to start learning. I'm really excited. Our first cover will be the Indigo Girls - Joking. Just wait until we get famous. Anyways, we got into Tena around 5 on Sunday and I went to my friend's house to pick up my puppy. She grew! They bathed her for me which I really appreciated. So, here I am back in my casita with Nina, planning for the next big thing. While I was in Puyo, my counterpart called to tell me that a young woman who had volunteered and lived with the people up at the caves was shot to death a week ago in Quito. I had met her once and she always referred her friends to come visit the caves and the foundation. She was from France working in Quito. Read the story here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32861796 ...I guess it just goes to show that no matter how safe you think you are or how aware you are of your surroundings, anything can happen. It's really, really sad. And scary. Anyways.
Hard to believe I just have to get through October, November, and the first few weeks of December and I'll be showing my family around Ecuador! I hope all is well in Kingsport and wherever else you may be reading from. As always, thanks for reading! ...and if you are ever bored and need a laugh, go to mylifeisaverage.com. Best. Procrastination. Ever.Take care - Sarita
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment